Women of childbearing age, particularly those in food desert areas, aren’t meeting recommended intake levels of vegetables, as well as several essential nutrients. Potatoes are an easy and affordable way to help improve their overall diet quality and nutrient intake.
- A NHANES analysis, supported by APRE, suggests that women of childbearing age aren’t meeting the recommended intake for total vegetables, starchy vegetables and several essential nutrients, including potassium and fiber (1).
- Potatoes are a good source of potassium and provide 8 percent of the daily value of fiber, making them an affordable way to help women of childbearing age increase their vegetable consumption and nutrient intake.
For more information, read:
- Press release: New data show that women of childbearing age need more vegetables, white potatoes on the plate
- Produce Business_August Issue: Eating potatoes as part of a healthy diet can support nutrition needs during pregnancy
- Storey M. Vegetable consumption and selected nutrient intake of women of childbearing age. J Nutr Educ Behav 2016.